Elaboration of a legal framework related to CDM in Mali
The Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) is one of the three innovative mechanisms issues from the Kyoto Protocol. It enables North countries to finance projects in the South in order to reduce greenhouse gaz emission. In return, the investor can obtain emissions credits. In order to fulfill these conditions, Mali set up a National Authority, ensured by the Agency of Environment and Sustainable Development, involving the promotion of CDM mechanism. Even if the country benefited from both financial and technical supports, some difficulties still remain. To date, only three projects have been registered. In 2009, an evaluation was made in to encourage the need for Mali to have an appropriate legal framework. The terms of references have been established to answer to those concerns.
- Provide Mali with an appropriate legal framework to promote CDM;
- Make an analysis of legislative and regulatory texts in the field of investments in Mali;
- Make a proposition of a pilot law.
The consultant carried out several activities, especially:
- Analise the political, institutional and legal frame in the CDM sectors (energy, afforestation, reforestation, house hold waste and transport);
- Evaluate and give clarifications and answers about the legal framework of CDM projects. (Title insurance on carbon credits; authorisation, rights);
- Analise the fiscal system of CDM projects and dialogue with the Ministy of Economy and Finances in order to identify sustainable actions;
- Workshops about the elaboration process of the legal framework in collaboration with the National Coordinator. The workshops that have been organised enabled to gather together 76 participants. Several recommendations have been raised:
- Multiply capacity building activities and increase training sessions to other actors;
- Train staff about CDM;
- Ensure a follow-up in the services;
- Multiply the arrival of leader farmers to the training sessions.
Among the basic needs, several elements have contributed to bring out some obstacles during the workshops:
- The participation of all stakeholders to other training sessions;
- Convey a roadmap to the Agency of Environment and Sustainable development;
- More training on research funding.