PACIFIC RESILIENCE MEETING
“Youth Futures in a Resilient Pacific”
1-3 May, 2019
University of South Pacific, Suva, Fiji
The Inaugural Pacific Resilience Meeting (PRM) will be held at the University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji from 1 to 3 May 2019, bringing together the Pacific Climate Change Roundtable, the Pacific Platform for Disaster Risk Management, the low carbon development community of practice, the Pacific Humanitarian Partnership and the European Union Global Climate Change Alliance Plus Initiative (GCCA+).
Under the theme Youth Futures in a Resilient Pacific, the PRM is a multi-sectoral, multi-stakeholder meeting that will take stock of progress, review and strengthen operational processes relating to the implementation of the three goals of the Framework for Resilient Development in the Pacific (FRDP).
The GCCA+ session “BUILDING CLIMATE RESILIENCE: Mitigation and adaptation in a changing climate” will take place on 3 May and focus on GCCA+ involvement in the Pacific, initiatives involving Youth, opportunities for the Pacific countries under the GCCA+ and other EU related regional programmes, and examples of GCCA+ bilateral actions in the Pacific (Papua New Guinea, Tuvalu and Samoa projects.)
GCCA+ is also organizing two parallel sessions to review current progress and stimulate technical discussions on “Nature based solutions as adaptation strategies for the Pacific region” on 1 May (progress, opportunities and challenges of Nature based Solutions implementation and planning in the Pacific) and “The climate security nexus in the Pacific” on 2 May (current and emerging climate-security nexus in the Pacific across various environmental and social sectors).
The PRM will be held in collaboration with the European Commission's Global Climate Change Plus flagship initiative (GCCA+) and will follow the third Climate Action Pacific Partnership Technical Expert Meeting (pre-CAPPIII), which will be held at the Grand Pacific Hotel in Suva on 29 and 30 April in preparation of the third Climate Action Pacific Partnership High Level Conference (CAPPIII) to be held at the same venue on 13 and 14 May 2019.
In 2016, the Pacific Forum Leaders endorsed the Framework for Resilient Development in the Pacific (FRDP): An Integrated Approach to Address Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management. The Framework provides stakeholders with high level strategic guidance to enhance resilience to climate change and disasters and thereby contribute to sustainable development.
The Pacific Resilience Partnership (PRP) is a unique partnership to support the implementation of the FRDP’s goals. Comprised of representatives from countries and territories in the region; civil society and private sector; and regional organisations and development partners.
- SESSION 1 : KEU-GCCA+ : Nature Based solutions as adaptation strategies for the Pacific region
- Presentation : Mature Based Solution - Questions
- Presentation : Nature Based Solution - Blue Pledge Foundation A pathway to private sector engagement in NbS
- Presentation : Nature Based Solutions - Coastal Protection Trials in Western Tongatapu
- Presentation : Nature Based Solutions - Martim Spatial Planning in Samoa
- Presentation : Nature Based Solutions - Essential component for climate resilient development
- Presentation : Nature Based Solutions - Ecosystem-based Adaptation in the Pacific - Imperatives and Challenges
- Presentation : Nature Based Solutions - Introduction
- SESSION 2 : EU GCCA+ The Climate Security nexus in the Pacific
- Presentation : Climate Security - GCCA+ Security Presentation
- Presentation : Climate Security - CC and conflict in Oceania
- Presentation : Climate Security - Defence Assessment on Climate Change and security
- Presentation : Climate Security - Oceanic spirituality, eco-relational consciousness and climate security
- Presentation : Climate Security - Questions
- SESSION 3 : The European Union Global Climate Change initiative: BUILDING CLIMATE RESILIENCE Mitigation and adaptation in a changing climat
- Download all sessions concept notes