GCCA's action programme
Initial GCCA/GCCA+ contribution
Support Chad in the implementation of a national response to climate change, thereby contributing to the emergence of a climate-resilient, low-carbon economy.
Strengthen climate governance by mainstreaming climate change into a number of key sector policies and by implementing field projects aligned with the NAPA and related priorities.
Climate change adaptation and mitigation policies and strategies are developed and implemented, notably in the agriculture and livestock sector (adaptation) and the energy sector (clean energy development).
- Support will be given to the Ministry of Environment and Fisheries in setting up a monitoring system for the NAPA.
- Support will also be provided for the accreditation of a national implementing entity through which the country will get direct access to the Adaptation Fund, and of a designated national authority to act as a focal point for access to the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM).
- A national process will be set up to mainstream climate change into the next National Development Plan 2015-2020, and into sector policies and strategies for agriculture, livestock breeding and energy.
- The Ministry of Energy and Oil (MEP) will get assistance for the calculation of the CO2 emission factor of the countryâ€™s power grid, the development of a renewable energy master plan and the setting up of a regulatory framework and financial incentives (feed-in tariffs) for renewable energies.
- An enabling institutional and budgetary framework will be established for the replication of successful experiences and the dissemination of practices and techniques that promote enhanced resilience to climate change and climate risks.
- Planned activities also include the development and implementation of an advocacy, communication and information strategy and plan.
Practices and techniques supporting enhanced resilience of the most climate-vulnerable people and more sustainable use of natural resources are tested and demonstrated in the field, and evaluated in view of their adoption on a larger scale.
This project component includes the development, implementation and monitoring of four field projects aligned with NAPA priorities and related priorities with regard to woodfuel supply. Projects will be selected on the basis of a call for proposals. Indicatively and subject to confirmation, projects would bear on the development of diversified crops adapted to extreme climate-related risks, soil protection and restoration activities, improvements in and the development of inter-communal grazing lands, and reforestation in the periphery of Nâ€™Djamena with a view to increasing the availability of woodfuels.
The projectâ€™s two components are complementary: the institutional component must help establish a suitable enabling environment for the implementation of concrete adaptation and mitigation actions, while activities in the field are expected to contribute to stakeholder engagement at various levels, incentivise action at the policy and institutional levels, and inform decisions in relation to climate change mainstreaming in development planning.
Achievements to date
- Support the preparation of Chad Intended Nationally Determined Contribution; and preparation and participation in Paris - COP21, Marrakech COP 22;
- Support to the Ministry of Energy and Oil (MEP) of Chad in the calculation of the CO2 emission factor in 12 regions;
- Capacity building activities for more than 200 officers, central executives in ministries, climate negotiators and within civil society, on mainstreaming of climate change into sectoral policies, on data analysis and social and climate vulnerability, and climate finance;
- Support to the integration of adaptation and mitigation issues in the national development plan of Chad 2016-2020;
- Support to the formulation of the national climate change strategy;
- Specific support to the Ministry in charge of Energy, including the calculation emission factor CO2 of the national electricity grid and Development of investment program for renewable energies in 23 region in Chad including N'Djamena
- Establishment of the NAPA monitoring-evaluation system;
- Support for the accreditation of a National Implementing Entity (NIE)
- A call for proposals for field pilot projects was also launched, leading to 4 projects being implemented in different grounds and conditions:
- SOS SAHEL : Project to support sustainable and diversified agricultural production, adapted to climate variability and change to strengthen household resilience by introducing innovative agricultural techniques in the Lake Region
- RAPS Mandoul : Soil fertility management and support for climate-resilient agriculture in the Mandoul region project
- ALISEI,: Project to improve the concerted management of pastoral resources in the Gara/Salamat plain for integrated and sustainable conservation in the peripheral zone of the Zakouma National Park
- IUCN, Information, education and communication for rural and peri-urban populations on adaptation to climate change