GCCA's action programme
Initial GCCA/GCCA+ contribution
The Specific Objectives are:
OS1- Public institutions in charge of the fight against climate change and the implementation of the Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC), ensure more effectively the coordination, implementation and monitoring of climate change adaptation and mitigation policies, strategies and plans.
OS2 - Intelligent climate systems for management, financing and agricultural practices are being tested at the local/provincial level.
The two objectives are complementary. SO1 is dedicated to building the capacity of an enabling institutional framework at the central level for advocacy, overall coordination and implementation of concrete actions that contribute to increasing community resilience. SW2 aims at influencing/powering the political level and the private sector in favor of innovative investments (private and public) and mobilizing external climate financing needed to build the resilience of populations. In addition to strategic coordination, the two entities in charge of the overall coordination of all of Chad's climate actions, also oversees the field activities of beneficiary projects through regular missions by its managers.
The three expected outputs of the action are:
Output 1 : Institutions in charge of the fight against climate change are strengthened to mobilize climate financing, ensure the coordination, implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies and plans for adaptation and mitigation to climate change in the context of the Paris Climate Agreement, the 2030 agenda and the climate negotiation process,
Output 2 : Innovative financing through public-private partnerships for building climate resilience at the local level is mobilized,
Output 3 : Resilient climate practices and technologies are implemented, monitored and evaluated.
Output 1-related activities: Institutional building
Activity 1.1: Facilitate coordination, consultation and advocacy around the NDC
Activity 1.2 Write proposals to mobilize international climate funds
Activity 1.3. Support the Ministry in charge of Energy in the operationalization of the National Agency "ADERME" for the establishment of a regulatory framework and fiscal and financial incentives favorable to private sector investment in Renewable Energy (RE).
Activity 1.4. Strengthen monitoring and evaluation capacities of the administration staff in charge of the education to environmental and CC issues.
Activity 1.5. Consolidate gains in advocacy, communication, information and online CC database.
Activity 1.6. Monitor and capitalize on field experiences
Output 2-related activities: Innovative financing through public-private partnerships for strengthening climate resilience at the local level is being mobilized.
Activity 2.1. Strengthen institutional and legal instruments at the local level for adaptation to CC and sustainable natural resource management.
Activity 2.2. Support the integration of the climate resilience dimension into planning, budgeting and monitoring systems in the three pilot local authorities
Activity 2.3. Strengthen youth and women's capacity to access adaptation financing and build local climate resilience
Activity 2.4. Implement funding schemes for pilot community-based climate adaptation and resilience projects
Output 2-related activities: Resilient climate practices and technologies are implemented, monitored and evaluated.
Activity 3.1 Establishment of pilot production systems using resilient agricultural techniques and technologies that promote conservation, product processing and the development of small-scale occupations that generate employment for women and youth.
Activity 3.2. Train and support women and youth in the collection, conservation, processing and marketing of local agricultural products
Achievements to date
Activities carried out related to Result 1:
- Setting-up of the inter-ministerial coordination unit team;
- Installation of offices, equipment and computer material for the project;
- Training of two project managers on Results-Based Management (RBM);
- Launching of a diagnostic study of the institutional framework of the DEELCC, development of the strategy for mobilizing financing for renewable energy;
- Training of national experts on the software for processing and calculating greenhouse gas emissions
Activities carried out related to Result 2:
Support from the TA and exchanges on bankable projects with the NAP, MEPDD, partner ministries, the National Designated Authority of the Green Climate Fund.
Activities carried out related to Result 3:
- Organisation of exchange meetings between the AMCC+ project team and those of the Agency for the Development of Rural Electrification (ADERM) and the Electricity Sector Regulatory Authority (ARSE),
- Launch of the development of the strategy for mobilizing financing for renewable energy.
Activities carried out related to Result 4:
- Support to Chad's participation in COP26;
- Signature of a Memorandum of Understanding between the Project and the Agora 30 platform for climate and non-climate resilience.
Activities carried out related to Result 5:
- Production of project visibility materials;
- Launching of the production of documentary films and public reports on the capitalization of the project's achievements and video clips of the AMCC song;
- Media coverage of the workshop to launch the project and the publication of the project's visibility documents.
Activities carried out related to Result 6:
- Organisation of missions to monitor the implementation of field projects in the Mandoul and Lac provinces and participation of the AMCC+ project coordination team in the official launch of the project;
- Signature of a partnership agreement with the National Curriculum Center in order to develop manuals and specific guides on climate change education for sustainable development (ECCDD) and to ensure the appropriation of these manuals, information, training and sensitization of teachers in schools.